Friday, October 27, 2023

Parure d'or

Parure d'or, Delbard 1965

Large flowered climber 

Seed: Queen Elizabeth X Provence
Pollen: Seedling of sultane X Madame Joseph Peraud

Sometimes i stumble upon a rose i really don't know. On vacation in France it happens a lot. When I see such a rose im not too scared to ask the owners which variety it is. Often they have forgotten or they never knew the name. 
Sometimes they do know and this was the case with Parure d'or from Delbard. 
We saw her growing against a yellow French stone wall. It was a hot beautiful sunny day and the flowers looked like smaller versions of Peace (Mme A Meilland) but in great abundance. When we walked towards it I noticed the flowers were golden yellow with carmine red. Some blooms had ruffled petals. They stood in clusters on a very vigorous plant. I guess it was 250X200 cm or 11X6 feet. The flowers had a lovely sweet fragrance. 
We knocked at the door and a typical French farmer opened the door. I said we loved his beautiful rose and if he knew it's name. Ahhh, ça c'est Parure d'or. He told us he bought it on the market in the seventies. According to him she blooms all summer and autumn and can take considerable heat and drought. He said he never pruned her, only removing dead wood. In 1990 a major storm had almost killed her but she recovered quickly.

I have to say I really love the look of this rose. Zone 6b to 10b 
I don't think she's available in the USA but I found her at several EU nurseries online 
A beautiful rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment