Sunday, January 15, 2023

Wellenspiel

Wellenspiel, Kordes 2004

Modern hybrid 

I stumbled on this one at our big plant center and I had to take it home. The bloom on the label looked like heaven. One year later I have five.
Wellenspiel looks like the most beautiful old rose with quartered very light pink blooms in clusters or alone. This is an extremely healthy rose with Glossy green foliage. No diseases whatsoever. It's a tall rose and it can be used as a shrub at the back of the border or as a small climber against a pillar or fence.
The strangest thing was the fragrance. She's described as moderately fragrant at best but when the first heatwave came her blooms had a very very strong fruit fragrance. I even asked Yves to come and sniff it. So it does have a strong fragrance in hot sunny weather. Talking about heat: this rose is heat bulletproof. She withstood 95 fahrenheit or 41 Celsius and stayed pristine. Oh the blooms last for days.
Reblooming is very good. I had three flushes this summer. The canes are very stiff so the blooms won't flip over not even in rainy weather. Yes she's 100% rain proof too.
I love this rose and I highly recommend it

No comments:

Post a Comment