Sunday, January 15, 2023

Janet

Janet, Austin 2003

Climbing Hybrid Tea

Some people say I hate David Austin roses but those people don't know me as my rose journey started with DA roses. As I mentioned many times before I experienced that many varieties had flaws in growth, in not coping with heat, rain and their health wasn't top notch to say the least.
Many went again but some stayed my friends.
Janet is such a friend and yet it's probably one of the least known David Austin roses. Why? Because her buds and flowers don't resemble the old rose shape. Instead they open up like the most perfect Teas and Hybrid Teas in this gorgeous pink to apricot color exuming a good tea fragrance. Even when fully open they keep a beautiful shape. Her growth is strong and she can easily reach four meters but contrary to nearly all climbing Hybrid teas Janet has the climbing Tea growth. Which means slender stems and twigs which carry the blooms gracefully. Reblooming is good and I have never seen her sick. I wouldn't prune her too much. In my opinion Janet deserves a spot between the big famous Tea climbers. The pictures come from Anna and a rose lover from Osaka in Japan. Even in an overcrowded city like Osaka people try to create a little rose paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment