Friday, January 27, 2023

Comtesse Cécile de Chabrillant


Comtesse Cécile de Chabrillant, Marest 1856
Hybrid Perpetual 

I bought two of these roses in February 2019 and that spring they gave me six very upright stems of 160 cm and only two or three blooms on top of each stem. This was definitely nog the way to grow this rose. I noticed that the stems were flexible so I started to pegg them down, to the left and to the right. The next spring all these pegged down stems started to grow lateral canes on each possible bud eye and flower buds were formed across the entire length of the canes. When they opened I was simply ecstatic. Several huge lilac silvery pink cupped flowers, very full. They had a strong fragrance. What surprised me was how long they lasted, almost ten days and this during hot weather. After flowering she started to grow more upright canes which got bended again by me. This is the way to grow this rose. Pegg her down or grow her horizontally against a wall. This will improve the numbers of flowers greatly.
Foliage is light green and not prune to disease. I grow mine in partial shade so that is possible. She's very hardy zone 4b to 9b. I recommend her but you definitely must grow her horizontally or you will be disappointed. She can reach 200 cm or 7 feet easily.
She was a seedling of Jules Margottin
One of my favorite children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment